After my final examinations, my illicit lover was given an ultimatum to take me in. I had no choice but to go and get married. Photo/FILE

Hello Philip,
Thank you for this column. It is a blessing to many. I have been married for the past 20 years and have three children.
I have never known happiness in my marriage, mostly because I feel that I was short changed by my parents.
My mother left home when I was in Form Three, at a time when I needed her most because I was still a teenager.
My father was a brutal man and living with him became even harder when he married another wife — who turned out to be more cruel than he was.
As a result, I felt unloved and unappreciated until my school teacher approached me. We started off as friends but soon became lovers.
Deep down I knew I was not doing the right thing, but the love and affection was too much and I found myself falling deeper and deeper into the arms of my teacher.
Soon my father got wind of the affair and stormed the school. His demand to the teacher was simple: marry me or he would sue him for his last cent.
To prove he was not joking, he made the teacher sign an agreement that he would marry me as the headmaster stood witness, cheering him on.
After my final examinations, my illicit lover was given an ultimatum to take me in. I had no choice but to go and get married.
Luckily, I managed a fairly good grade and have gone through various courses to better myself. My husband has been supportive, but the love I had for him died a long time ago.
We no longer have sex because I cannot stand the thought of us together. I am concerned about my children since I cannot afford to take good care of them with my salary.
I want to live a full life without regrets, yet I feel that I am not getting the best out of this marriage of convenience.
What should I do?
Rose